IELTS WRITING 2 PRACTICE TEST 20
The only way to improve road safety is to impose severe punishments for driving offences. Do you agree or disagree?
BAND 8.0 SAMPLE ANSWER
Road safety has long been an issue of concern to the public, and to the government as well. Nothing qualifies as a sufficient compensation when a road accident occurs. Despite the painstaking effort to reduce the death, injury and trauma rate across the world, many countries are seeing traffic accidents increase exponentially. In improving road safety, some people advocate harsh punishment. In my opinion, it is nearly one of the many counter measures and cannot prevent all criminal offences on the road.
In many cases, many automobile accidents occur not because drivers belittle or defy road regulations but because those are unfamiliar to them. It is an everyday occurrence that rule-breaking acts and traffic crashes are linked to poor driving skills. Many drivers have limited experience in coping with different situations and an inaccurate estimation of the complexity of road conditions, despite having passed license tests. It alerts people to the loop holes in policies, such as the loose control over car used, low requirements on driving training and low license standards. In tackling those problems, it is imperative to require license applicants to attend more safe-driving courses and pass strict tests.
Besides education, other endeavors such as improving road infrastructure and transportation systems are equally important. Road conditions should be improved to allow different users, including drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, to use roads safely. Other facilities such as stop lights and stop sings, can be used wherever appropriate to curb speed driving. Furthermore, authorities can sponsor the research on road safety measures and effective precautions, such as identifying risk factors of different driving patterns. By translating these findings into policies and practices, the government is in a stronger position to protect vehicle occupants and vulnerable road users.
It can therefore be made clear that punishment is not the only way to cut the accident rate and improve people’s safety on road. Some other measures, such as increasing road users’ knowledge of rules and improving road infrastructure are all important.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!