IELTS Writing 2 Practice Test 23 and Band 8.0 Sample Answer
Discuss the reasons why people define happiness differently and how to obtain happiness?
Direct question essay
- State your answer to the questions
- Begin with a general idea that takes into account the key topic words (a definition of happiness). Then include a thesis statement.
- Paragraph 1: Address the question. It’s not a surprising fact that people pursue different interests and have different objectives to attain in a lifetime. Also, their objectives and interests depend on their age.
- Paragraph 2: Mention solution: one’s characteristics, pursuits and philosophies.
- Summarize the answer for the question.
It is quite common that individuals hold different view towards happiness. I think the perception of happiness varies dramatically from one person to another as a result of the combined effect of individual characteristics and environmental factors. These elements decide the approaches adopted by people to obtain happiness.
It’s not a surprising fact that people pursue different interests and have different objectives to attain in a lifetime. Also, their objectives and interests depend on their age. An individual may have a passion for toys as a child, fashionable clothes as a teenager, a rewarding career as an adult and possibly the company of family members as an older adult. We can see that a person’s attitudes and concerns are subjected to change. For instance, following the latest fashion is appealing to young people such as purchasing trendy consumer products or changing a hairstyle. In contrast, older people are hardly bothered about what they wear or how they look.
In addition to these visible factors, there are some other factors that affect a person’s perception of happiness. These intrinsic factors include one’s characteristics, pursuits and philosophies. For example, people often perceive the value of money differently. Some people sacrifice everything for wealth, whereas others take it more lightly. They treasure family, friends, hobbies and their core values. It is also one of the reasons why people see events such as marriage, family reunion, a promotion, and so forth differently and also react differently to trouble or bad luck, for example, accidents, conflicts, divorce to name a few.
Because people are encouraged to attain their happiness, they must evaluate whether the objectives are attainable or not. High expectations for the future might bring nothing but increase levels of stress and a sense of disappointment. Setting a reachable target is a recommended alternative. Another step to be taken is setting prioritizing things in one’s life, such as money, health, growth, fame, power and relationship. It is almost impossible to attain all that are targeted. The secret is to identify the top priorities and spend your energy on those.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS writing practice test
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors