IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic:
Nowadays people use bicycles less as a form of transport? Why is that? What can we do to encourage people to use it more?
Band 8.5 Model Answer:
Cycling has long been known as an effective way to improve physical health and reduce the risk of obesity. However, in recent decades, there has been a prevalent trend that people use bicycles less to commute. This trend could be ascribed to a few reasons, and definite actions must be taken to promote the use of bicycles.
There are evident reasons as to why people hesitate to choose bicycles as a form of transport. The most prominent reason is the over-reliance on modern means of transport, such as cars and motorbikes. These modes of transport are obviously faster and more suitable for long journeys than bicycles. Another convincing reason is that in many places in the world, including Vietnam, there is no dedicated cycling paths for bicycles. This means that cyclists in these regions would have to ride in the same lane with motor vehicles, which is without doubt a dangerous practice.
To boost the use of bicycles, the government should adopt both of the following measures. First, the government may impose a heavy tax on motor vehicles. This tax would discourage people from using motor vehicles, and thus encourage them to switch to bicycle, the single most efficient human-powered land vehicle. Second, the government may allocate more money to the construction of cycling paths for citizens. When a system of cycling paths is well-developed, people would consider bicycles a safe and convenient mode of transport.
In conclusion, the unpopularity of bicycles could be attributed to the overdependence on modern means of transport and the scarcity of dedicated cycling paths. To encourage people to cycle more, the government may introduce a tax on motor vehicles and invest money in building dedicated paths for cyclers.
308 words, by Tu Pham, IELTS Teacher
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!