IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Reading stories from a book is better than watching TV
It is usually important to agree or disagree with a certain fact or piece of information in opinion essays. Your argument must support one of two opposing views in the essay. Given below is an example of an IELTS Writing task 2 opinion essay. Let’s understand how to frame the essay from the ideas we have.
Some people believe that people who read books can develop more imagination and language skills than those who prefer to watch TV. Do you agree or disagree?
Some people believe that reading stories from a book is better than watching TV or playing computer games for children. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
While it has been said that reading books for pleasure rather than watching TV is more beneficial for one’s imagination and acquiring language skills, I contend that the role of the former in boosting intelligence and language ability is equal to the latter.
One the one hand, books are instrumental in enhancing children’s imagination and development. A kid reading a fairly tale with illustration will have to think, fantasize and use their creativeness to comprehend ideas and reasoning, which in turn sharpen their mental skills. Moreover, reading books helps to improve language skills. Spending time reading a book which is not written in our mother tongue leads to the development of a strong language base referring to its vocabulary, or comprehending meaning of a word in different contexts. Besides, reading out a book for children is also an effective way to help them improve their communication skill, which is greatly stimulated as the kids grab a spoken word and use it in daily conversations.
On the other hand, watching TV is considered an important activity as reading in order to cultivate one’s imaginativeness regarding its characteristics of programs. Firstly, when audiences watch a tourism channel for example, they are exposed to a wide range of knowledge by seizing images of worldwide landscapes or feel tastes of specialties in various geographical regions. The broadcasting of quiz shows serves as an efficient learning tool for both children and adults who prefer taking challenges which involve critical thinking. Secondly, the role of TV in boosting linguistic competence is pivotal. Recent English programs not only support audience to remember words easily by associating them with vivid images shown on the screen but catch their constant attention with entertaining aspects.
In conclusion, while the benefits of reading are undeniable, they cannot outweigh the role of TV in enhancing a person’s imaginativeness and language skills.
- The former (phrase): denoting the first or first mentioned of two people or things.
- The latter (phrase): denoting the second or second mentioned of two people or things.
- Instrumental (adj): very important in helping or causing something to happen or be done
- Fairly tale (phrase): a simple children’s story about magical creatures
- Fanticise (verb): to imagine that something pleasant, exciting, or unusual is happening to you
- Critical thinking (phrase): the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgement.
- Linguistic competence (phrase): the system of linguistic knowledge of a language
- Pivotal (adj): very important
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- Some People Say That Economic Growth Is The Only Way to End Hunger and Poverty
- Scientific Research Should Be Carried Out and Controlled by the Government
- The Tradition of Families Getting Together to Eat Meals is Disappearing
- Is Freedom of Speech Necessary In a Free Society
- In Today’s World of Advanced Science and Technology
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors