1 Verb + effort
- Use Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: danger
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: condition
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Attitude
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Apology
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Answer
Use the correct form of these verbs:
expend go into
- If you want to get good grades, you’d better start ___________ more of an effort. As it is, you’ll be lucky to scrape a pass.
- Learning a language as a child seems to involve no effort at all, but learning it as an adult ___________ a lot of time and effort.
- Following record sales over the Christmas period, the staff were___________ for their efforts with a New Year bonus of £300.
- I’d tackle the problem now if I were you. It’ll only take a couple of hours and it’ll ___________ you a lot of time and effort in the long run.
- A lot of effort has___________ making this event a success. I’d like to thank all of those who were involved.
- After ___________ all that effort on training to be a doctor, she decided that she wanted to do something else. What a terrible waste of time!
2 Adjective + effort
Use these adjectives to complete the sentences:
- -My father is making a huge effort to stop smoking.
-Good for him! Tell him I’m also making a ___________ effort to kick the habit! I haven’t had a cigarette for a week!
- It’s not an easy book to read but it’s extremely interesting. It’s well worth putting in the ___________ effort to understand it.
- Jon can be so irritating. He made a ___________ effort to help me with the dishes. I think he dried one plate and then went round telling people he had done the dishes!
- Some people can lose weight virtually overnight, but for most people, dieting requires a ___________ effort of will.
- Now, for many of our guests this will be their first time abroad, so let’s all make a ___________ effort to make our Russian colleagues welcome.
3 Common expressions
Match the two halves of the sentences below:
- If we fail, it won’t be for
- This company has invested a great deal of
- He passed his exams with
- I know it’s a long climb to the top of the hill, but the view from the top is
- Everybody on our social committee has put in
- We’ve started a massive advertising campaign
a time and effort in setting up training schemes.
b well worth the effort.
c in an effort to recruit more blood donors.
d the minimum of effort. He’s obviously very bright.
e want of effort.
f a great deal of effort to make the weekend a success.
4 Noun + effort
Use these nouns to complete the sentences:
waste prize relief war fund-raising
- The___________ efforts of local people have resulted in over £10,000 being raised for cancer research in the past year.
- ___________ efforts in the Congo are being hampered by the on-going civil war.
- People started to wear yellow badges to show their support for the___________ effort.
- The only ___________ I won at school was one for effort. At least I tried! And that’s more important than coming first!
- A lot of grammar study is a___________ of time and effort. Collocation is much more useful.
1. Note the use of the quantifiers every and no in the following common expressions:
Every effort is being made to rectify the problem.
We will spare no effort to find out who did this.
2. ‘In an effort to’ means ‘in order to’:
We’ve reduced our workforce in an effort to cut costs.
3. If something is a ‘real effort’, it is very difficult:
Dad’s very weak now. It’s a real effort just to talk.
Ex 1: 1. making 2. requires 3. rewarded 4. save 5. gone into 6. expending
Ex 2: 1. determined 2. extra 3. feeble 4. supreme 5. concerted
Ex 3: l-e 2-a 3-d 4-b 5-f 6-c
Ex 4: 1. fund-raising 2. Relief 3. war 4. prize 5. waste
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Use Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: danger - July 1, 2017
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: condition - June 30, 2017
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Attitude - June 28, 2017