IELTS Writing Task 2 Argumentative Essay Topic: Vertical City and Horizontal City
Some people think that it is best to live in a horizontal city while others think of a vertical city. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Discussion Essay (With opinion)
- Introduce the topic of the essay and give preface to it.
Give your point of view and state which side do you find yourself inclining towards as opinion is solicited here.
- Paragraph 1: People have to pay less for building services. Living lower to the ground is safer for inhabitants when emergencies occur.
- Paragraph 2: A city with skyscrapers will have more space for public usage because there will be less land used for residential areas due to the number of people who can live in high buildings.
Give a conclusion, at last, stating why do you incline towards your side of the argument.
Some people believe that living in a horizontal city is the best, while the opponents of this idea prefer to settle in a vertical city. While there are benefits to residents who dwell in a city that consists of low-rise construction, I would argue that cities with skyscrapers and high-rise buildings offer more advantages.
On the one hand, it is beneficial for residents to live in a horizontal city based on a few financial and security reasons. Firstly, people have to pay less for building services. If residents settle in a private house, they may save a great deal of money since they won’t have to pay for building services. Secondly, living lower to the ground is safer for inhabitants when emergencies occur. For example, if a fire starts in the home, they can quickly escape from the dangerous areas because the building is not too high off the ground and it won’t take much time to leave.
On the other hand, it seems to me that living in a vertical city is the best choice. A city with skyscrapers will have more space for public usage because there will be less land used for residential areas due to the number of people who can live in high buildings. As a result, the government would be able to use this land to build hospitals, schools or places for entertainment. Furthermore, it is much more convenient for residents to live in an apartment in a tall building that offers a wide range of goods and services, thanks to shopping malls and service centres on lower floors.
In conclusion, while living in a horizontal city does have some benefits, it seems to me that the advantages of living in a city with skyscrapers makes living in a vertical city the better choice.
Band 9 Sample Essay
Signup/login to unlock band 9 essay and ace the IELTS
A section of society considers living in the horizontal city as the most optimum option to live in, while other strata think dwelling in the vertical city is the best. This essay shall be inferring both sides of the argument, and reason how the latter way is better in the current times.
A horizontal city as such gives one a copious amount of space to live in as they are often established in scantly populated areas. People often argue that such a setup provides them with substantial privacy and less of a conundrum that is caused otherwise. Pet lovers and farm owners obdurately stick to live in the colossal mansions and subsets of the rural and semiurban regions. Also, in the state of natural calamities, it is safer to vacate such houses with a lesser risk of fatalities.
In contrast, a sizeable school of thought champions the need and preference to be living in vertical cities as that provides a much wider scope to adjust and customize the booming population nowadays. People from rural and remote areas often migrate towards metros to seek employment as they don’t find many of the options in their localities. For instance, the ghost villages of Uttarakhand were dilapidated long ago just because of the natives migrating towards the metropolitan cities to look for a job and survival. In such circumstances, it is unpragmatic and impractical to live and even think of residing in horizontal homes. Moreover, vertical cities greatly suffice and adapt to the requirements of the general public as these skyscrapers also consist of shopping compounds on the lower floors and hence are very well adapted to manage the space crisis in densely populated areas.
All in all, it could be concluded that living in horizontal cities to some extent could be an option, but inclining towards multi-storeyed buildings and vertical cities is the undeniable requirement of today’s time, and hence, going by the vertical setups is more preferred.
- opponents of this idea: opponents arc people who disagree with an idea; they are against an idea, a policy or a rule; they don’t support it; they want something else to happen.
Example: The opponents of this idea believe that it won’t be good for the public
- to settle in: to decide to live in a specific place; to decide to move to an area and stay there
Example: They have decided to settle in New York
- financial and security reasons: financial refers to money issues, like paying fees; security refers to safety, like being safe in your own home in terms of crime or emergencies
- much more convenient for: used to describe when something is much easier for somebody to do compared to something else
Example: It’s much more convenient for them to come to my house first and then go w’ith us to the restaurant
- Thanks to something or somebody: used to express the idea that something is good because of something specific.
Example: Thanks to my dad’s help, we were able to purchase a new home.
- Some people think that cities are the best places to live. Others prefer to live in a rural area. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of living in the city to living in the countryside.
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet