IELTS Writing Actual Test inDecember, 2014 & Band 9 Argumentative Essay – Topic : horizontal city and vertical city
Some people think that it is best to live in a horizontal city while others think of a vertical city. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 9.0 Sample
Some people believe that living in a horizontal city is the best, while the opponents of this idea prefer to settle in a vertical city. While there are benefits to residents who dwell in a city which consists of low-rise construction, I would argue that cities with skyscrapers and high-rise buildings offer more advantages.
On the one hand, it is beneficial for residents to live in a horizontal city based on a few financial and security reasons. Firstly, people have to pay less for building services. If residents settle in a private house, they may save a great deal of money since they won’t have to pay for building services. Secondly, living lower to the ground is safer for inhabitants when emergencies occur. For example, if a fire starts in the home, they can quickly escape from the dangerous areas because the building is not too high off the ground and it won’t take much time to leave.
On the other hand, it seems to me that living in a vertical city is the best choice. A city with skyscrapers will have more space for public usage because there will be less land used for residential areas due to the amount of people who can live in high buildings. As a result, the government would be able to use this land to build hospitals, schools or places for entertainment. Furthermore, it is much more convenient for residents to live in an apartment in a tall building which offers a wide range of goods and services, thanks to shopping malls and service centers on lower floors.
In conclusion, while living in a horizontal city does have some benefits, it seems to me that the advantages of life in a city with skyscrapers makes living in a vertical city the better choice.
Use Words/Phrases :
- opponents of this idea: opponents arc people who disagree with an idea; they are against an idea, a policy or a rule; they don’t support it; they want something else to happen.
Example: The opponents of this idea believe that it won’t be good for the public
- to settle in: to decide to live in a specific place; to decide to move to an area and stay there
Example: They have decided to settle in New York
- financial and security reasons: financial refers to money issues, like paying fees; security refers to safety, like being safe in your own home in terms of crime or emergencies
- much more convenient for: used to describe when something is much easier for somebody to do compared to something else
Example: It’s much more convenient for them to come to my house first and then go w’ith us to the restaurant
- Thanks to something or somebody: used to express the idea that something is good because of something specific.
Example: Thanks to my dad’s help, we were able to purchase a new home.
Also check :