33 New Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 from 2016
- 1 This post will list out 33 new IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics and Questions for IELTS test taker from September to December 2016.
- 1.1 Visitors
- 1.2 Celebrity
- 1.3 Computer
- 1.4 Bags
- 1.5 Art
- 1.6 Chocolate
- 1.7 Flowers
- 1.8 Hats
- 1.9 Gifts
- 1.10 Advertisement
- 1.11 Noise
- 1.12 Bus or Taxi
- 1.13 Hometown
- 1.14 Work & study
- 1.15 Your Study
- 1.16 Teacher
- 1.17 Family
- 1.18 Sing
- 1.19 Walking
- 1.20 Books
- 1.21 Newspaper and magazine
- 1.22 Activity near water
- 1.23 Photography
- 1.24 Colors
- 1.25 Music
- 1.26 Handcrafts
- 1.27 Birthday
- 1.28 Transportation
- 1.29 Weekends
- 1.30 Sunny days
- 1.31 Outdoor Activities
- 1.32 Painting
- 1.33 Home/ Accommodation
In the IELTS Speaking Part 1 Section, IELTS examiner will introduce himself or herself and ask personal/general questions on about 3 familiar topic areas such as study, hometown, work, weather, the countryside, politeness, family.
The first topic will be Studies, Work or Where you live. Two other topics with various questions will be categorized in the list below. You can use these sample topics and questions for Speaking Part 1 to rehearse before sitting for the oral interview. Remember not to memorise the suggested answers for Speaking Part 1 because you should give personal answers from your life and experience. There is no right or wrong answer. Remember that these are personal questions and you should,therefore, give personal answers. If the examiner thinks that you have learned by heart answers, you will lose lots of marks.
This post will list out 33 new IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics and Questions for IELTS test taker from September to December 2016.
- Do you often invite friends to visit your home?
- Do you like visitors coming to your home?
- Do people often visit you at your home?
- How often do visitors come to your home?
- When do visitors come to your home?
- Do you prefer to have friends visit you or relatives?
- What do you usually do together with your visitors?
- When someone visits you. how do you usual, show hospitality (or. entertain them)?
- Who is your favorite celebrity in Vietnam?
- Do you like any foreign celebrities?
- Would you want to be a celebrity in the future?
- Do you think we should protect famous people’s privacy?
- How do celebrities influence their fans in Vietnam?
- I low often do you use computer?
- What kinds of computers are popular in Vietnam?
- What do you usually use your computer for’?
- Who taught you how to use a computer’?
- Do you think computers have changed your life a lot?
- Do you like bags?
- What types of bags do you like?
- Do you usually carry a bag (when you go out)?
- What types of bags do you use (in your everyday life)?
- Do you have different bags for different occasions (or, different purposes)?
- What do you put in these bags?
- What sorts of bags do women like to buy?
- Do you like art?
- Do you think art classes are necessary? (Why?)
- How do you think art classes affect children’s development?
- What kind of paintings do Vietnamese people like?
- What can you learn from western paintings?
- What benefits can you get from painting as a hobby’?
- How often do you eat chocolate?
- What’s your favorite flavor’.’
- Is chocolate expensive in Vietnam?
- When was the first time you ate chocolate? Is chocolate popular in Vietnam?
- Do you like flowers? (Why?)
- What flowers do you like? (Why?)
- Which/What is your favorite flower?
- Do you think flowers are important?
- (Similar to above) Are flowers important in your culture? (Give examples)
- On what occasions are flowers important?
- Do people in your country ever use flowers for special occasions?
- In your country, do people (ever) give flowers as a gift?
- What are the occasions when people give or receive flowers?
- Do you like to wear hats?
- What kinds of hats do you have?
- Where do you like to buy hats?
- Is wearing hats popular in your country?
- How often do you buy others gifts?
- Do you like to send expensive gifts?
- What kinds of gifts are popular in your country*?
- Why do people send gifts?
- Are there many advertisements in your country?
- Why do you think there are so many advertisements now?
- What are the various places where we see advertisements?
- How do you feel about advertisements?
- Do you mind noises?
- What types of noise do you come across in your daily life?
- Are there any sounds that you like?
- Where can you hear loud noise?
- Do you think there’s too much noise in modem society*?
- Are cities becoming noisier?
Bus or Taxi
- How often do you take the bus?
- When was the first time you took a taxi?
- What are the advantages of taking a taxi compared with buses?
- Is it convenient to take the bus/taxi in your city?
- What’s (the name of) your hometown (again)?
- Is that a big City or a small place?
- Please describe your hometown a little. How long have you been living there?
- Do you like your hometown?
- Do you like living there?
- What do you like (most) about your hometown?
- Is there anything you dislike about it?
- Do you think you will continue living there for a long time?
Work & study
- What work do you do?
- Why did you choose to do that type of work (or. that job)?
- Do you like your jobs?
- Is it very interesting?
- (Possibly)Do you miss being a student?
- What subject(s) are you studying?
- Why did you choose to study that subject?
- Why did you choose to study those subjects?
- Do you like your subject? (Why?/Why not?) Is it very interesting?
- (Possibly) Are you looking forward to working?
- Do you prefer to study in the mornings or in the afternoons?
- What kinds of teachers do you like best?
- Who was your favorite teacher when you were young?
- Would you want to be a teacher in the future?
- Have you ever had bad teachers before?
- How often do you meet with your family?
- How do you spend the time with your family?
- Do you want to live with your family in the future?
- Are you close to of your family members?
- How has your family influenced you?
- Do you often like sing?
- When do you like to sing?
- How much time do you spend in singing every day ?
- What kinds of music do you like to sing?
- Is it difficult to sing well?
- Do you want to be a singer?
- Do you like walk?
- Do you like to walk on your own or with others?
- Would you say that your city is a good place for walking?
- How often do you read?
- Do you have many books at home?
- Do Vietnamese people do enough reading?
- Do Vietnamese people like to read?
- What kind of people like reading and what kind of people don’t like reading very much?
Newspaper and magazine
- Do you often read newspapers?
- When do you like to sing?
- Do you prefer to read local news or international news?
- Which is more popular where you live, newspapers or magazines?
- Do many people today read newspapers?
- In the future, do you think more people than today will read magazines, or fewer people?
- Do you think newspapers will be very important to you in the future?
Activity near water
- What activities would you do if you were spending some leisure time at a beach or near the ocean?
- Why do some people like water sports?
- Do you think the government should invest money in developing facilities for water sports?
- Do you think that human activity is posing a threat to the oceans of the world? What do you think are the advantages anddisadvantages of travelling on the ocean?
- Do you think it’s important for children to learn how to swim?
- Do you think it’s best for a child to be taught to swim by a parent or by someone else?
- Do you like to take photographs? (Why?)
- Do you prefer to take photos yourself or to have other people take photos? (Why?)
- How long have you liked taking photographs?
- How (why) did you become interested in photograph/?
- How often do you take photographs?
- In what situations do you take photographs?
- What kind of photos do you like to take? (Why?)
- Do you prefer to take pictures of people or of scenery?
- Who do you take photos of?
- How do you keep your photos?
- Do you keep your photographs on your computer?
- Are there any photos on the walls of your home?
- Do you frame (or have you framed) any of your photos? yes, which?& why?)
- Do you prefer to send postcards to people or to send photos that you took yourself? (Why?)
- What colors do you like?
- What’s the most popular color in Vietnam?
- Do you like to wear dark or bright colors?
- What’s the different between men and women’s preference on colors?
- Do colors affect your mood?
- Do you often (like to) listen to music?
- When do you listen to music?
- How much time do you spend listening to music every day?
- What kinds of music do you like to listen to?
- What’s your favorite kind of music?
- Have you ever been to a concert before?
- Do you like to listen to live music?
- When did you start listening to this type of music?
- Where do you listen to it?
- How do you feel when you listen to this music?
- Do you like listening to songs?
- Have you ever been to a musical performance?
- Have you ever learned to play a musical instrument?
- Is music an important subject at school in Vietnam?
- Did you often listen to music when you were a child? (If yes give details.)
- What kinds of music arc (most) popular in Vietnam?
- Do you like collect things made by hand?
- Did you ever take handcrafts lessons at school?
- Are handcrafts popular in Vietnam?
- Do you think children should learn more about handcrafts?
- Do you think handcrafts are meaningful activities?
- How do children celebrate birthdays in your country?
- How did you celebrate your last birthday?
- What kinds of birthday gifts do you like to receive?
- Is there a difference between the way you celebrate your birthday in the past and in the present?
- What’s the most popular means of transportation in your hometown?
- How often do you take buses?
- Can you compare the advantages of planes and trains?
- Is driving to work popular in your country”?
- Do you think people will drive more in the future?
- Would you ride bikes to work in the future?
- What will become the most popular means of transportation in Vietnam?
- Do you prefer public transportation or private transportation?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- When do you spend time with your family?
- What do you usually do on weekends? What did you do last weekend?
- What do other people in your hometown (or in your country) usually do on weekend?
- What are you going to do next weekend?
- Do you think is important to make the most of your weekend?
- Do you feel that weekends now are more important to you than when you were a child?
- Do you like sunny days?
- What do you like to do when it’s a sunny day?
- Would you like to stay at home or go outside when the weather is great?
- Are there many sunny days in your hometown?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- Do you like outdoor activities?
- What outdoor activities do you (most) like to do?
- How often do you do that?
- What outdoor sports do you like? (Why?)
- How much time do you spend outdoors every week?
- How often do you do outdoor activities?
- What (types of) outdoor activities are popular in your country?
- Do you like painting or drawing?
- How often do you visit art galleries?
- What kinds of things do you like to draw?
- Is it easy to learn how to draw?
- What kind of housing/accommodation do you live in?
- Do you live in a house or a flat?
- Who do you live with?
- How long have you lived there?
- Do you plan to live there for a long time? (If you answer you haven’t lived there long)
- What’s the difference between where you are living now and where you have lived in the past?
- Can you describe the place where you live?
- Which room does your family spend most of the time in?
- What do you usually do in your house/flat/room?
- Are the transport facilities to your home very good?
- Do you prefer living in a house or a flat?
- Please describe the room you live in.
- What parts of your home do you like the most?
You can also download Sample Answers for 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 in 2016 to practice with your IELTS study partners.