TOPIC 14: Describe Your Hometown
- What’s (the name of) your hometown?
- Is that a big city or a small place?
- Please describe your hometown a little?
- How long have you been living there?
- What do you like (most) about your hometown?
- Is there anything you dislike about it?
- Do you think you will continue living there for a long time?
- Has your hometown changed much since you were a child?
- Are there any changes you would like to make in your hometown?
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: What types of Bags do you like & Sample Answers
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: do you like to wear Hats & Sample Answers
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: House & Sample Answers
- IELTS SPEAKING PRACTICE TEST 41 & BAND 8.0 SAMPLE ANSWERS
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Noise & Sample Answers
IELTS Speaking Actual tests Jan - May 2020 with suggested answers)
IELTS Speaking Actual Tests & Suggested Answers written by IELTS teachers aims to help IELTS candidates perform at their best on the big day.
Sample Answers to Describe Your Hometown:
1. What’s (the name of) your hometown?
Victoria is my hometown which’s a province located in the west of my country.
2. Is that a big city or a small place?
Actually, it is a small province with slightly more than 1 million people. It has a breathtaking view of picturesque landscapes with rolling mountains and greenish lakes. However, due to the increasing economy, a number of businesses, especially in sugarcane, are invested in my hometown that turns it into a promising area.
3. Please describe your hometown a little?
My hometown is both traditional and modern. On the one hand, tradition is preserved by a number of festivals celebrated by local people, and the locals and authorities preserve the historical sites for tourism and education. On the other hand, a whole lot of high-rise buildings as residential places or shopping malls are built, which turns our little hometown into a worth-living place.
Historical sites (n) a building that was built in the past
4. How long have you been living there?
I had lived there around 15 years before my family left for Santa City. It’s more than ten years since the day I left my hometown, but it is indeed a good memory of my childhood.
5. What do you like (most) about your hometown?
I like the hospitality and the love of people there which I hardly find them in my current place. Everyone is living close together and willing to give others a hand when they need help.
Hospitality (n) The friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers
Give someone a hand (idiom) to help someone do something
6. Is there anything you dislike about it?
Personally, it’s a bit boring for me because as a small town, there is not much shopping mall or any other means of entertainment. The streets are not very crowded as well. However, I believe that it has been improving day by day and becoming a potential hotspot due to the increasing number of annual visitors.
7. Do you think you will continue living there for a long time?
To be honest, I hope I could come back there one day to visit my relatives and friends, but to settle down my life there is not my plan. I am getting familiar with city life and there are more job opportunities for my future career.
To settle down (v) adopt a more steady or secure style of life, especially in a permanent job and home
8. Has your hometown changed much since you were a child?
Actually yes. It has changed enormously. 20 years ago I could barely find tall buildings around my area, but now I can easily catch sight of skyscrapers and tower blocks there.
9. Are there any changes you would like to make in your hometown?
I would like to ameliorate the infrastructure conditions there so that I can avoid being stuck in the traffic jam during the rush hours.