50 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics & Questions in 2017 & Sample Answers (with pdf)
- 1 Chocolate
- 2 Television
- 3 Celebrities
- 4 Public Transport
- 5 Bags
- 6 Handwriting
- 7 Art
- 8 House
- 9 Dreams
- 10 Holidays
- 11 Flowers
- 12 Photography
- 13 Terrorism
- 14 Hometown
- 15 Outdoor Activities
- 16 Mirror
- 17 Robot
- 18 Swimming
- 19 Family
- 20 Carrying Things
- 21 Visit Homes
- 22 Toy
- 23 Watches/Time
- 24 Friends
- 25 Shoes
- 26 Activities Near Water
- 27 Drawings and Paintings
- 28 Teachers
- 29 Study
- 30 Job
- 31 Music
- 32 Music & Instruments
- 33 Bus and Taxi
- 34 Sunny Days
- 35 Food/Cooking
- 36 Names
- 37 Leisure Time
- 38 Sport/Exercise
- 39 Swimming
- 40 Weather
- 41 Rain
- 42 Indoor Games
- 43 History
- 44 Going Out
- 45 Patience
- 46 Plans and Goals
- 47 Shopping
- 48 Birds
- 49 Housework
- 50 Advertisement
- 51 Walking
- 52 Hats
- 53 Noise
To be well-prepared for the IELTS exam (both the Academic & General Training Modules), you must read Sample Answers for 50 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics & Questions in 2017 & Sample Answers and practice at home with your IELTS study partners. To get the full pdf version (with full 3 Parts), please check out IELTS Speaking Actual Tests & Suggested Answers.
1. Do you like sweets or chocolate?
2. What’s your favourite flavour?
3. How often do you eat chocolate?
4. When was the first time you ate chocolate?
5. Is chocolate popular in your country?
6. Why do people like chocolate?
7. Do you think people use chocolate differently now than in the past?
8. Is chocolate good for our health?
9. Have you ever given chocolate as a present for someone? Why?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Chocolate & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking tips
- IELTS Speaking Part 1
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Idioms for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Pronunciation Guide
- Common English words in IELTS Speaking
- Ough words
1. How much TV do you watch?
2. What’s your favourite TV program?
3. Did you watch much TV when you were a child?
4. What types of programs did you watch when you were a child?
5. Do you think television has changed in the past few decades?
6. Has television changed your life in any way?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Television & Sample Answers
1. Who is your favourite celebrity in your country?
2. How do celebrities influence their fans in your country?
3. Do you like any foreign celebrities?
4. Would you like to be a celebrity? Why?
5. Do you think we should protect famous people’s privacy?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Celebrities & Sample Answers
1. What form of transport do you prefer to use? Why?
2. How often do you take buses?
3. Can you compare the advantages of planes and trains?
4. How much time do you spend travelling on a normal day?
5. Would you ride bikes to work in the future?
6. What will become the most popular means of transport in your country?
7. Do you prefer public transport or private transport?
1. Do you like bags?
2. What types of bags do you like?
3. Do you usually carry a bag (when you go out)?
4. Do you have different bags for different occasions (or, different purposes)?
5. What do you put in these bags?
6. What sorts of bags do women like to buy?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Bags & Sample Answers
1. Do you usually write by hand or write using a computer (typewriter or word-processor)?
2. Nowadays, how do most people write things?
3. Do you think computers might one day replace handwriting?
4. When do children begin to write in your country?
5. How did you learn to write?
6. Do you think handwriting is very important (nowadays)?
7. How can children today improve (or, practise) their handwriting?
8. What impression does a person’s handwriting have on other people?
9. Do you love writing?
10. Do you prefer to write letters or E-mails?
11. Do you think some people are still addicted to writing letters?
12. What are the main differences between handwriting and writing on a computer?
1. Do you like art?
2. Do you think art classes are necessary? (Why?)
3. How do you think art classes affect children’s development?
4. What kind of paintings do people like?
5. What benefits can you get from painting as a hobby?
6. How often do you visit museums and art galleries?
7. Do you think going to museums and art galleries is beneficial for children? Do school in your country have field trips to museums?
8. What kinds of things do you like to draw?
9. Is it easy to learn how to draw?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Art & Sample Answers
1. Do you live in a house or an apartment?
2. Which rooms do you like most about your house? Why?
3. Is there anything about your house that you would like to change?
4. Tell me something else about your house.
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: House & Sample Answers
1. Do you remember your dreams when you wake up?
2. Do you like hearing others’ dream?
3. Do you believe that dreams have meanings?
4. Do you think dream will affect life?
5. Do you want to learn more about dreams?
6. What’s the goal of life for you? Why is it important? How can you make your dream come true?
7. Do you think that goals are different for people of different ages? Would you separate the dream from reality?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: House & Sample Answers
1. What do you do in your holidays?
2. Do you think holidays are becoming more and more important?
3. What kind of places do you want to travel to?
4. Do you prefer travelling alone or in a group?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Holidays & Sample Answers
1. Do you love flowers? Why?
2. Which/What is your favourite flower?
3. Do you think flowers are important?
4. Are flowers important in your culture? (Give examples)
5. Do people in your country ever use flowers for special occasions?
6. What are the occasions when people give or receive flowers?
7. In your country, do people (ever) give flowers as a gift?
8. When was the last time you gave flowers to someone?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Flowers & Sample Answers
1. Do you like to take photographs? (Why?)
2. Do you prefer to take photos alone or with other people? (Why?)
3. How long have you liked taking photographs?
4. How (why) did you become interested in photography?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photography & Sample Answers
1. Have you ever heard of terrorism?
2. Do you think it is the biggest problem in the world today?
1. Has your hometown changed much since you were a child?
2. How could your hometown be improved?
3. Are there any changes you would like to make in your hometown?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Hometown & Sample Answers
1. How often do you go outside every week?
2. What activities do you usually do when you go outside?
3. Do you spend enough time doing outdoor activities?
4. What’s the amount of exercise that modern people do?
5. What kind of outdoor activity do you often do?
6. What’re the advantages of outdoor activities?
7. How should children balance outdoor activities and indoor activities?
1. Do you often look in the mirror?
2. Do you often buy a mirror?
3. Where do you think mirrors are a necessary decoration?
1. Are you interested in robots? Why?
2. Do you like robots to work at your home?
3. Do you want to take a car which robot is the driver?
4. Will robots replace human beings in the workplace completely?
1. Do you like swimming?
2. How often do you swim?
3. Do you like to go swimming on holiday?
4. Should everyone learn swimming? Why?
1. Could you tell me something about your family?
2. What do you think are the changes in family structure in China recently? Do you think it is good to live with your grandparents?
3. What’s the women’s status in families?
4. Do you think it good to be the only child in the family?
5. Is there any generation gap in your family?
6. Do you like your family?
7. Who is your closest family member?
8. What are your parents like?
9. How to foster children?
1. What do you bring when you go out?
2. Have you forgotten to bring anything?
3. Will you bring different things in the daytime or at night?
1. Do you often invite friends to visit your home?
2. Do you like visitors coming to your home?
3. Do people often visit you at your home? = How often do visitors come to your home? = When do visitors come to your home?
4. Do you prefer to have friends visit you, or relatives?
5. What do you usually do together with your visitors?
6. When someone visits you, how do you usually show hospitality (or, entertain them)?
1. Why was your favourite toy in childhood?
2. Should parents buy many toys for their children?
3. What are the benefits of children playing toys?
4. What are the disadvantages of children playing toys?
1. Do you usually wear a watch?
2. Do you think the time is very important?
3. Where did you get your watch?
4. What do you use your watch for?
5. Do you often look at your watch?
6. Are you ever late for anything?
7. How do you feel when you are late for an appointment?
8. How do you feel when others are late?
9. If you could go back in time, what would you do?
1. Do you think friends are important in your life?
2. What does friendship mean to you?
3. How can be a good friend to others?
4. What are the qualities you value in your best friend?
5. How do people make friends with others? How do you make new friends?
6. What are the differences between adults and children in making friends?
7. Where do young people usually meet in your city?
8. Do you usually meet new people?
9. Have you made any friends on the Internet?
10. How can you keep in touch with your friends if you two are not seeing each other frequently?
1. How many shoes do you have?
2. Do you like shopping for shoes? Do you like shoes?
3. How often do you buy shoes?
4. What kinds of shoes do you usually buy?
5. Do you prefer comfortable shoes or good-looking shoes?
6. Are people willing to buy expensive shoes?
Activities Near Water
1. Why do so many people like going to places with water such as lakes, rivers or the ocean?
2. What kinds of leisure activities do people like to do in places such as on the ocean, at a beach, at a river, at a lake etc.?
3. As a place to spend some leisure time, do you think the beach or seaside is more suitable for children or for old people?
4. Do you think children and old people do the same types of things when they go to a beach?
5. What activities would you do if you were spending some leisure time at a beach or near the ocean?
6. Why do some people like water sports?
7. Do you think the government should invest money in developing facilities tor water sports?
8. Do you think that human activity is posing a threat to the oceans of the world?
9. How important is water in people’s everyday lives?
Drawings and Paintings
1. How often do you visit art galleries?
2. What kinds of things do you like to draw?
3. Is it easy to learn how to draw?
4. Do you like painting/ drawing? Why?
5. Do you think children should learn drawing?
6. Why do primary schools have a painting class?
7. Why do people display artwork (painting) in their homes?
8. Have you ever bought any painting?
9. Do you think painting (or drawing) is important for adults?
10. Do you still draw those pictures that you did in your childhood?
11. Hanging out with friends
12. How often do you like to hang out with friends?
13. Who do you usually like to hang out with?
14. Where do you like to go when you hang out with your friends?
15. Do you like to go out with a big group or just a few friends?
1. Do you have a favourite teacher?
2. What kinds of teachers do you like?
3. What are the qualities of a good teacher?
4. Do you think teachers should be angry at students or not?
5. Do you like strict teachers?
6. What’s the difference between young and old teachers?
1. Is that a very popular subject to study in your country?
2. Is your subject very challenging (or difficult) to study?
3. What do you do when you have difficulty with your studies?
4. How did you learn science at school?
5. Why did you choose …as your major?
6. What do you like about your major?
7. What’s more important when studying – the student or teacher?
1. What do you do?
2. Why do you choose this job?
3. What are the advantages of having your own business rather than working for someone else?
4. What do you see yourself doing in the next 10 years?
Sample Answers: Job/Work: IELTS Speaking Part 1 Sample Answer
1. What kind of natural sound do you love to listen to? And explain why.
2. Do you love listening to music?
3. What kinds of music do you love listening to?
4. Where and when do you usually listen to music?
5. Where would you prefer to listen to music, at home or in the concert hall?
6. Which way would you prefer to listen to music, MP3 or Hi-Fi?
7. Do you play any instrument? And what is it?
8. How do you feel about the phenomenon that parents in Vietnam are always forcing their kids to learn all kinds of instruments?
9. How do you feel about those kids who know how to play lots of instruments?
Music & Instruments
1. Do you think children should learn to play musical instruments?
2. Have you learned to play any musical instrument?
3. Do you play any instrument? And what is it?
4. Why do some people choose to learn to play a musical instrument?
5. How do you feel about the phenomenon that parents in Vietnam are always forcing their kids to learn all kinds of instruments?
6. How do you feel about those kids who know how to play lots of instruments?
7. Do men and women play different kinds of musical instruments?
8. What kind of natural sound do you love to listen to? And explain why.
9. Do you love listening to music?
10. What kinds of music do you love listening to?
11. Where and when do you usually listen to music?
Bus and Taxi
1. How often do you take the bus?
2. When was the first time you took a taxi?
3. What are the advantages of taking a taxi compared with buses?
4. Is it convenient to take the bus/taxi in your city?
1. Do you like sunshine? Why?
2. What do you like to do in sunshine/ on a sunny day?
3. What things do you think is hard to do in the sunshine? / What you dislike to do when it’s sunny outside?
4, Do you like going outside on weekends on sunny days?
1. Is food important to you? (Why?)
2. What kinds of food do you particularly like?
3. Is there any food you don’t like? (Why?)
4. What kinds of food are most popular in your country?
5. Do you like cooking? (Why?/Why not?)
6. Who usually does the cooking in your home?
1. Does your name have any particular meaning?
2. What’s the origin of your name? (or your surname)
3. Do you like your name?
4. What do your friends call you?
5. Did your family have a certain (nick) name that they called you when you were a child?
6. What names are popular to give to babies in your country?
1. When do you have free time?
2. Do you think it’s important to have leisure time?
3. Do your friends ever come to your home in their free time?
4. Compare the way people in your country relax today and the way they used to relax years ago.
1. What sports do you like? (Why?)
2. What sports are most popular in your country?
3. Are boys and girls good at the same sports?
4. What sports do children prefer?
5. Do you like to do daily exercise? (Why?/Why not?)
6. What are the advantages of doing regular exercise?
7. Where do people in your country usually exercise?
1. Do you like swimming?
2. How often do you swim?
3. Where do you swim in your city?
4. Is it difficult to learn how to swim?
1. What’s the weather like today?
2. What’s the weather (usually) like in your hometown?
3. What’s your favourite weather? (Why?)
4. Do you like snow? (Why?)
5. Do you watch the weather forecasts
6. Does the weather ever affect what you do?
1. Does it rain much in your country? (Where? When?)
2. Is there any part of your country where it doesn’t rain much? (Where?)
3. When (in what month/season) does it rain most in your hometown?
4. Can you remember any time when it rained particularly heavily in your hometown? (When?)
5. Does rain ever affect transportation in your hometown? (How?)
1. Do you play any indoor games?
2. Do you prefer to play indoor games or outdoor games?
3. What indoor games did you play when you were a child?
4. Is there any particular indoor game that you liked (when you were a child)?
5. What sorts of indoor games do children play now?
1. Do you like (to learn about) history?
2. What historical event do you find most interesting?
3. Do you think history is important?
4. Do you like to watch programs on TV about history?
5. How (or. from where) do you get information about history?
1. Do you like going out with your friends?
2. Do you often go out with friends?
3. What do you do when you go out?
4. Where do you go when you go out?
5. Do you prefer to go out with a large group of friends or just a few friends?
1. What do you think “patience” is?
2. Do you think patience is important?
3. Do you think being patient is an important part of being polite?
4. Would you say you are a patient person?
5. Have you ever lost your patience?
6. What do you become impatient about?
Plans and Goals
1. When do you plan to start that?
2. How do you intend to achieve that?
3. When you go abroad, do you plan to live in the countryside or a big city? (Why?)
1. Are there any shops near your home? (What kind?)
2. Do you like shopping? (Why? Why not?)
3. How often do you buy something in a shop?
1. How do you feel about birds? (Why do you feel that way?
2. How do people in your country feel about birds?
3. Are there many birds near your home?
4. Have you seen many different kinds of birds?
1. Do you do housework at home?
2. What kind of housework do you often do?
3. Did you do housework when you were a child?
4. Do you think that children should do housework?
1. Are there many advertisements in your country?
2. Why do you think there are so many advertisements now?
3. What are the various places where we see advertisements?
4. How do you feel about advertisements?
1. Do you like to walk?
2. Do you like to walk on your own or with others?
3. Would you say that your city is a good place for walking?
4. Do people in your country walk a lot?
5. Do you think walking is important?
6. Do you think walking in the countryside is better than walking in the city?
7. What could be done to improve the experience of walking in cities?
8. What could be done to improve the experience of walking in cities?
Sample Answers: 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Walking & Sample Answers
1. Do you like to wear hats or caps?
2. What kind of hats do you have?
3. Where do you like to buy hats?
4. Is wearing hats popular in your country?
Sample Answers:2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Hats & Sample Answers
1. Do you mind the noises?
2. What types of noise do you come across in your daily life?
3. Are there any sounds that you like?
4. Where can you hear a loud noise?
5. Do you think there’s too much noise in modern society?
6. Are cities becoming noisier?