IELTS Writing task 2 Practice Test 14 With Sample Answer
Some people say part-time jobs are useful for full-time students because they not only earn money but also gain career experience. Do you agree or disagree ?
Agree or disagree
- State your opinion clearly. (whether you agree or disagree?) (Briefly outline what you are going to explain in the body paragraphs)
- Paragraph 1: The first obvious advantage is that work can bring money. Agree that it is a boon to poor families and can improve financial position.
- Paragraph 2: Moreover, a part-time job can help prepare a person for the real world of work. Agree that it is a step out of the ivory tower.
- Paragraph 3: However, it should be borne in mind that the primary purpose of university study is to learn, and a student who also works may be unable to devote himself or herself sufficiently to him or her study. Disagree that it can cause negative effects on study. Provide counter-argument with justifications
- Restate your argument or side.
Nowadays, it is common for students at university or college to work part-time to supplement their expenses or gain some work experience. In my opinion, it is advantageous to students in many ways.
The first obvious advantage is that work can bring in money. In many countries, students are independent of their families, or their parents are not wealthy enough to afford their education. Therefore, a part-time job can significantly improve the financial position of a student. It may be an essential factor in continuing studies. For example, in Britain, the tuition fees have increased a lot in recent years, which has kept some of the intelligent but needy students from concentrating on their study as they are often in debt and a severe shortage of financial support. So, if they want to pursue their desired course, many students have no choice but to work in addition to their academic duties.
Moreover, a part-time job can help prepare a person for the real world of work, a step out of the ivory tower. Recently, many employers complain that new workers do not appreciate the needs of the business, nor do they apply their theoretical study to practice. But some work experience gained during study can help when joining work. My own experience is an excellent example in this case. Thanks to my experience of working as a part-time computer programmer, I was able to adjust to full-time work responsibilities in an IT company after graduation.
Eventhough, it is said the primary purpose of university study is to concentrate on academics, practical knowledge cannot be taken for granted and must not be overlooked.
But, in my opinion, taking up a part-time job while studying is advantageous for the student in many ways.
- Afford their education
- The financial position
- An alarming rate
- At the cost of underachieving
Also check :