IELTS Writing Task 2 Cause/Solution Essay of Band 8.0 – Topic : Unhealthy Lifestyle
Scientists tell us that some activities are good for health and others are bad. Despite knowing that, millions of people still continue doing unhealthy activities. What are the causes and what are the solutions for this?
Modern people are regularly informed about the dangers of leading unhealthy lifestyles. Despite the spectacular advances in the medical field, many people are still suffering from and being killed by diseases, most of which are preventable.
There are some reasons why there is still a prevalent habit of doing unhealthy activities. This can be, firstly, explained by the fact that most people are prone to undue optimism. Although powerful and constant reminders of what unsound lifestyles can bring is readily available everywhere, people still keep the faith that they would hardly be inflicted. Even for those who are aware, they are often in denial and convince themselves that unhealthy habits are not as terrible as the media want them to believe. Secondly, once people are addicted to unhealthy habits, it is very difficult for them to break. For example, people with smoking habits cannot reduce their dependency on cigarettes due to its high addictiveness, or people with sedentary lifestyles are unable to bring themselves to be more active on the simple grounds that exercises are not pleasurable.
To address these problems, multiple solutions can be proposed. One of which is imposing higher taxes on unhealthy products, such as food with a high concentration of fat, alcohol, or cigarettes. This solution promises direct impacts. Moreover, healthy lifestyles should be further promoted, and likewise, unhealthy lifestyles should be strictly criticised on the media. With a sense of self-protection and knowledge that everybody around them practice the same habit, I believe that people would find it easier to break their old self-destructive lifestyles.
Useful Expressions :
- Spectacular advances: Huge advances.
- Prevalent habit: a habit that many people have.
- To be prone to undue optimism: Feel too optimistic
- Unsound lifestyle: unhealthy lifestyle.
- To be inflicted: to suffer.
- Sedentary (adj.) not involving many physical exercises.
- To reduce their dependency on something: To become less dependent on it.
- On the simple grounds that …: For a simple reason that…
- Impose higher tax: to increase tax.
- To break the old self-destructive lifestyles: To give it up.
- The dangers of smoking are well known, yet many people continue with this habit. What are the causes of this? How can we reduce smoking in society? Give reasons for your answer, and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
- In many countries today, there are concerns about the unhealthy lifestyles that people lead. What health issues are linked to modern lifestyles? What answers to these problems can you suggest?
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Direct question essay
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- Problem Solution Essay
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors