Check out the diagram below reported by an IELTS learner on IELTS Material website and read Sample Answer for one of the most difficult diagrams that have appeared in the IELTS test.
IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic
The graphs below show the development of the cutting tools made by stone, one was made 1.4 million years ago, and the other was made 800 thousand years ago, viewing from back view, front view and side view. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 29 – Diagram
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 19 – Diagram
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 10 – Diagram
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: Describe a prize you want to get
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Band 9 Model Answers with Audio – Topic: Teachers
IELTS Writing Task 1 Sample:
The given diagram illustrates the cutting stone tool and how it was advanced, from 1.4 million years ago to 800 thousand years ago. It can be clearly seen that the stone tool was improved into a sharper and better one, over the years.
The stone tool made 1.4 million years ago was more rounded at the top and bottom edges. From the front and the back view of the tool it is clear that the diameter in the middle was almost 5 cm and towards the top and bottom, it was around 3 cm wide. The side view shows that the tool was wider in the middle, with a diameter of around 3 cm and it tapered towards the top and the bottom ends. The back of the stone had fewer cuts than the front and they were also not very fine.
800 thousand years ago, this tool developed into a sharper, more refined tool. In the front and the back view it can be seen that the maximum diameter of the tool was the same as in the older tool, but it was more towards the lower side. The bottom tapered into a 1 cm point, but the top tapered more sharply into a 1 cm point. The side view makes it clear that it was much lesser in width (1.5 cm) than the older tool. The stone was more chiseled than the previous one.
Overall, it can be observed that the tool was improved over the years to a more refined and finer cutting tool.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!