Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: FOOD, TRAVEL AND HOLIDAYS – Practice Exercises and Answer Key (Part 1)
FOOD, TRAVEL AND HOLIDAYS ( Part 1)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 8)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 7)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 6)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 5)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 4)
(A) Chose the correct answer option from the four choices, a – d.
- The room was_____________ decorated in gold and silver; it was quite simply over the top.
a ostentatiously b. tantalisingly c. tactfully d. benevolently
- They made _____________ preparations in anticipation of the arrival of their celebrity guests.
a degenerate b. decadent c. elaborate d. strenuous
- It was a(n) _____________ location with an intoxicating sense of romance, something akin to what one might find described in a fairytale.
a chivalrous b. whimsical c. enchanting d. extravagant
- The decor of the hotel was _____________; it screamed ‘five-star’ from the moment you stepped into the lobby.
a sumptuous b. picturesque c. idyllic d. quaint
- Dinner was_____________ , and the after-dinner entertainment was equally exceptional.
a delectable b. despicable c. voluptuous d. ravishing
- The location was far from _____________ and certainly not as described on the brochure,
a nostalgic b. melodious c. opulent d. idyllic
- The venue had a lovely, warm _____________ and we felt very comfortable there.
a semblance b. ambience c. traction d. disposition
- The prices were _____________ and there was little value for money to be had in any of the items on the menu.
a oppressive b. exacting c. extortionate d. fraudulent
- The _____________ was decorated in an Edwardian style, but it looked like the inside of the building had been brought right up to date.
a facade b. veneer c. guise d. camouflage
- Our hotel room was surprisingly _____________ , especially taking into consideration that it was very reasonably priced.
a decadent b. commodious c. languid d. vivacious
- The level of service we received from all staff, without exception, was quite simply _____________ .
a gallant b. solicitous c. punctilious d. exemplary
- The hotel’s description in the brochure was_____________ in the extreme and we were left utterly disappointed on arrival.
a fallacious b. pretentious c. perplexing d. erratic
(B) Put the words of similar meaning together in groups.
|cramped immaculate spotless elegant inconspicuous cluttered
quirky offbeat remote subtle chic secluded
sombre rowdy garish subdued trendy picturesque
boisterous functional quaint refined gaudy utilitarian
- Not spacious
- a 2. c 3. c 4. a 5. a 6. d 7. b 8. c 9. a 10. b 11. d 12. a
11. cramped/ cluttered
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief - November 10, 2017
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report - November 6, 2017