IELTS Writing Task 1 question:
The graph below shows relative price changes for fresh fruits and vegetables, sugars and sweets, and carbonated drinks between 1978 and 2009.
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 8th September With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 25th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 18th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 28th July With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words
Task 1 plan:
- paraphrase task heading
- summary paragraph – 2 major features
- prices for 3 food groups and CPI increased
- only prices for fresh fruits and vegetables were higher than overall increase in CPI over the period.
- compare sugar/ sweets and carbonated drinks trend with CPI
- report on fresh fruits and vegetables trend
The line graph provides information about changes in price in the USA of three different food product groups from 1979 to 2009, and the overall trend in the consumer price index over this 30-year period.
Overall, it is clear that prices increased for the three food product groups, despite fluctuations. Only the increase in the prices for fresh fruits and vegetables was significantly higher than the rise in the general consumer price index.
All the lines on the graph have the same starting figure in 1979. Over the period, the consumer price index rose steadily from around 60 in 1979 to over 200 in 2009. Prices for sugar and sweets and carbonated drinks showed similar trends. Although their prices also rose, they were consistently below the consumer price index average after 1987. After many minor fluctuations, the number for sugar and sweets was 200 on the graph in 2009, higher than the final figure for carbonated drinks at 150.
Prices rose sharply for fresh fruits and vegetables, particularly after 1989. From the same figure of about 60 at the start of the period, the prices finished at roughly 330 on the index in 2009.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!