The bar graph below shows the numbers of male and female research students studying six computer science subjects at a US university in 2011.
Summarise the information by selecting and report in the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 23 – Bar Graph
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 22 – Bar Chart
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 21 – Pie Chart
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 18 – Pie Chart
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 12 – Table
Write at least 150 words
The bar chart shows the gender distribution of students doing computer scientific research across a range of disciplines at a US university in 2011.
In five of the six disciplines, males outnumbered females. Male students made up a particularly large proportion of the student group in subjects related to the study of programming objects: mathematics, programming, and engineering. The gender gap was particularly large in the field of mathematics, where there were five times as many male students as female students.
Men and women were more equally represented in subjects related to the study of computer science: natural sciences, psychology, and linguistics. In natural science, there were nearly as many women [approximately 200] as men [approximately 240]. This was also true of psychology. Linguistics was the only discipline in which women outnumbered men [roughly 110 women vs. 90 men].
Overall, the chart shows that at this university, computer science subjects continue to be male-dominated; however, women have a significant presence in fields related to psychology and the computer sciences.
THIS TEST IS COLLECTED & IMPLEMENTED BY IELTSMATERIAL.COM
( Free IELTS Practice Tests – Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking Test|
IELTS Exam Preparation – Free IELTS material and resources.
Download IELTS Preparation Material & Tips)
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!