You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Write about the following topic:
Too much emphasis is placed on testing these days. The need to prepare for tests and examinations is a restriction on teachers and also exerts unnecessary pressure on young learners.
To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer and include relevant example from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
MODEL ESSAY 01:
While “burning the midnight oil” for your final exam, you may find yourself nervously shaking and on the verge of exploding. On this fatal date many of your future hopes can be crushed. Too much strain is put on a single, taking approximately an hour, assessment. This practice has been taken for granted for many years and only recently some voices are raised its old – fashioned.
The testing system has one distinctive feature that enhances the process of education. It is universal and standardized while at the same time it does not take into account the individual. Therefore, teachers are relieved from the burden of designing a personal exam paper. However, some scientists argue that each student possesses unique qualities (creativity, imagination, logical thinking) and unified, strict methods of assessment cannot bring them on the surface.
Nowadays, ambitious parents push their kids to be more obsessed with marks. There are many cases of people encouraging their children to calculate perplexing equations or studying French. All this at the expense of playing outside, socializing and just being a kid. The reason is obvious – the better the under aged perform, the higher prospects for “hot” schools.
Another aspect of the stressful practice in the modern examination is that it shows only the momentary situation. Even though, you may have problems with one part of the textbook, the outcome depends on pure chance. A good step in reversing the process is the ¾ test throughout the semester, implemented nu universities.
On balance, the outdated approach to assessment should be reached and adapted to fit in the modern situation. More constructiveness and reducing the anxiety are vital if society wants to keep people willing to learn and not just to achieve high marks.
- 9.0 - 9.0/109.0/10
- 8.5 - 8.5/108.5/10
- 8.0 - 8/108/10
- 7.5 - 7.5/107.5/10
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!