IELTS Writing Actual Test in July, 2015 & Band 9 Sample Argumentative Essay – Topic : Corporate Social Responsibility
As well as making money, businesses also have social responsibilities. Do you agree or disagree?
Model Essay :
People have different views about what kinds of obligation a company should have. While I accept that the top priority of companies is to generate profits, I believe they should also have social responsibilities.
On the one hand, I believe businesses already contribute to society by merely focusing on making money. The first reason is that when companies earn a good profit, they can expand their businesses, which creates more job opportunities for people. Some big multinational corporations such as Apple or Microsoft can be a great illustration. They have been employing hundreds of thousands of individuals around the world, which helps to reduce unemployment rates in many countries. Additionally, when companies make higher profits, they will pay more taxes to the government. This money can be used to invest in essential fields such as education or health care, which will benefit society as a whole.
On the other hand, I would argue that apart from making money, companies also need to have social responsibilities. Firstly, since the rising number of factories these days has led to severe environmental damage, companies need to take immediate actions to help protect the natural environment. For example, they could try new technologies to recycle their wastes instead of disposing of them right away. Secondly, corporations should also consider helping those who are less fortunate such as homeless or disabled citizens. This will contribute to a better society and also help to enhance the image of the company or the brand.
In conclusion, although companies should prioritise the need to make profits, I believe they should also have social responsibilities.
Useful Expressions :
- obligation: the state of being forced to do sth because it is your duty, or because of a law
==>You are under no obligation to buy anything.
- priority: something that you think is more important than other things and should be dealt with first
==>Education is a top priority.
- illustration: an example
- dispose: to get rid of sb/sth that you do not want or cannot keep
==>the difficulties of disposing of nuclear waste.
- fortunate: lucky I have been fortunate enough to visit many parts of the world as a lecturer.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary