IELTS Writing Task 1 question:
The two pie charts below show the online shopping sales for retail sectors in Canada in 2005 and 2010
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 8th September With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 25th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 18th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 28th July With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words
Task 1 plan:
- Introduction: paraphrase task heading
- summary paragraph – 2 major features
- changes in the percentages for the different sectors during the period
- while the figures for food and beverages and also video games increased, the figures for the other two sectors fell
- paragraph 3 – detail for the sectors with increased percentages
- paragraph 4 – detail for the sectors with reduced percentages
The charts compare four retail sectors in Canada in terms of the proportion of their internet sales in two years, 2005 and 2010.
Overall, the proportion of online sales for each of the four sectors changed significantly from 2005 to 2010. While the figures for food and beverages and also video games increased, the figures for the other two sectors fell.
In 2005, the proportion of online sales of food and beverages was 22%, but this rose to 32% in 2010. The percentage for internet sales of video games also went up, by 5% from the 2005 figure of 18%.
In contrast, the percentages of the online sales of the other sectors decreased. The most dramatic fall was in the home furnishings retail sector. While this figure was 25% of the total online sales of these four sectors in 2005, it fell to just 15% in 2010. There was also a decrease in the electronics and appliances sector, which saw a fall from 35% in 2005 to 30% in 2010.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by Huy Quoc (see all)
- English Collocations in Use – Intermediate (Ebook) - May 26, 2017
- Fall From Grace – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 7, 2017
- Stir Up A Hornet’s Nest – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 5, 2017