IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
Scientists agree that people are damaging their health by eating too much junk food. Some people think that the answer to this problem is to educate people. Others think education will not work. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 8.0 Sample Essay
Fast food has been proven to be the main culprit of obesity and other diet-related diseases, however, the habit of eating excessive amount of fast food has never lost momentum. One school of thought holds that education can rectify this situation. However, there is still much skepticism about the effect of education. In this essay, both of these viewpoints will be analysed.
On the one hand, education can stop people from further damaging their health by consuming fast food. From my perspective, although many eat fast food because of its affordability, the root cause of this lies in the fact that they are not adequately educated about the damaging consequences of junk food consumption, and the benefits of healthy eating. According to recent studies conducted in the neighborhoods where fast food stores are easily accessible, more than two-quarters of the residents know or care little about what they are consuming and how it can affect their health.
On the other hand, education alone will not work. The fact is that many people who are aware of the consequences of eating junk food are unduly pessimistic. In other words, they are often in denial and convince themselves that unhealthy habits are not as terrible as the media want them to believe. Secondly, it is very difficult for fast food eaters to reduce their dependency on fast food because it contains many addictive artificial flavours.
All things considered, education is one viable solution to put a stop to the obesity epidemic, but it does not suffice. I feel that more efforts should be made to combat obesity.
Useful Expressions :
- To be the main culprit of: be the main reason for
- To lose momentum: become unpopular
- Accessible (adj.) easily bought
- Because of its affordability: because it is cheap
- To be in denial: be unwilling to accept
- Reduce dependency: become less dependent
- Obesity epidemic: the problem of obesity
- It does not suffice: it is not enough.
- Combat (v.) fight against
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Direct question essay
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary