Ielts Writing Actual Test in July, 2015 & Band 9 Sample Argumentative Essay – Topic: Advertising
Advertising discourages people from being different individuals by making us want to be and to look the same. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (November, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Answers
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 – Topic: Health (October, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- AcademicIELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic – Healthy Lifestyle (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Sample
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Essay
Band 9.0 Sample:
An often debated topic is whether advertising has a major influence on the growing similarity of people’s lifestyle in the modern world. Personally, I partly agree with this opinion for a number of reasons.
On the one hand, the power of advertising is undeniable. The growth of the advertising industry has resulted in many people buying products of the same manufacture, which can be seen in the case of consumer goods. Today, the advertising campaigns of multinational companies such as Unilever have been so successful that their products almost dominate the market. Smaller enterprises tend not to be able to compete with these giant market leaders due to their disadvantages of capital poured into advertising programs. Thus, customers are often swayed to buy products of famous brands rather than those made by less well-known companies.
On the other hand, it is also true that people have the tendency to copy others’ lifestyles without being affected by advertising. For example, it is valid to argue that many young people are trying to emulate the fashion styles of their idols. Many manage to purchase the same clothes, dye their hair and wear the same perfume as their stars do. People can also turn to their social relations for advice when they need to buy something. For instance, junior citizens usually ask their friends before they come to a final decision on buying a smart phone.
In conclusion, it is true that advertising has bridged the gap between each individual’s lifestyle in modern society. However, I believe that it is not the sole factor that contributes to the trend.
(268 words – Thay Vinh IELTS)
- To dominate something: to control or have a lot of influence over somebody/something, especially in an unpleasant way
==>He tended to dominate the conversation.
- Giant market leaders
- To sway somebody: to persuade somebody to believe something or do something
==>Don’t allow yourself to be swayed by emotion.
- To bridge the gap between A and B
==>He always tries to bridge the gap between theory and reality so that his students can write essays without much effort.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Art & Technology with Model Essay - May 30, 2018
- 15 IELTS Practice Tests (Book) - May 29, 2018
- IELTS Success Formula For Academic & General Training Module (Book) - May 26, 2018