IELTS Writing Actual Test in July, 2015 & Band 9 Sample Discursive Essay – Topic : Tax
Some people say taxes should be spent on health care. Other people say that there are more important priorities for tax-payers’ money. Discus both these views and give your own opinion.
Band 9.0 Sample :
People hold different views about how our tax money should be spent. While I agree that medical care is a field that requires huge investments, I believe that the government should also allocate the money for other priorities, such as education and transport.
On the one hand, a certain amount of tax money has to go to healthcare services. Today, a number of particular diseases are on the rise in terms of popularity, and it would be costly to supply vaccines, medicines, or treatments. For example, a large proportion of the population is now suffering from respiratory diseases or lung cancer due to exhaust fumes from vehicles and gas emissions from industrial factories. The remedies for those patients and the treatment facilities are often expensive, and the hospitals may find themselves in the struggle with financial problems without assistance from the tax system.
On the other hand, healthcare is not the only industry that needs money to be kept running. Take education as an example. The quality of the schooling system is proportional to the competence of the future workforce. Therefore, a country can benefit from such skillful human resources in the long-term if they invest the tax budget to build schools, provide lecturers with training courses, or hire native speakers to teach a foreign language. Moreover, the government should also spend money on solving transport problems. Traffic congestion is a global issue these days, and we can only handle the scenario if new highways are opened, and narrow public roads are expanded.
In conclusion, I believe that the government should use tax-payers’ money to improve not only the healthcare services, but also the education and transportation system.
Useful Expressions :
- Allocate: Distribute (resources or duties) for a particular purpose
==>in past years we didn’t allocate enough funds to infrastructure maintenance
- Respiratory: Relating to or affecting respiration
==>We transferred the patient to the intensive care unit for respiratory and inotropic support.
- Fumes: An amount of gas or vapour that smells strongly or is dangerous to inhale
==>clouds of exhaust fumes spewed by cars
- Emissions: The production and discharge of something, especially gas or radiation
==>the effects of lead emission on health
- Remedy: A medicine or treatment for a disease or injury
==>Once estrogen replacement is prescribed, a medical practitioner calibrates the remedy.
- Proportional: corresponding in size or amount to something else
==>the punishment should be proportional to the crime.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary