IELTS Writing Actual Test in July, 2015 & Band 9 Sample Discursive Essay – Topic: Tax
Some people say taxes should be spent on health care. Other people say that there are more important priorities for tax-payers’ money. Discus both these views and give your own opinion.
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (November, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Answers
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 – Topic: Health (October, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- AcademicIELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic – Healthy Lifestyle (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Sample
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Essay
Band 9.0 Sample:
People hold different views about how taxes should be spent. Although I agree that medical care is a field that requires huge investments, I believe that the government should also allocate the money for other priorities, such as education and transport.
On the one hand, a certain amount of tax money has to go to healthcare services. Today, a number of particular diseases are on the rise in terms of popularity, and it would be costly to supply vaccines, medicines or treatments. For example, a large proportion of the population is now suffering from respiratory diseases or lung cancer due to exhaust fumes from vehicles and gas emissions from industrial factories. The remedies for those patients and the treatment facilities are often expensive, and the hospitals may find themselves in the struggle with financial problems without the assistance from the tax system.
On the other hand, healthcare is not the only industry that needs money to be kept running. Take education as an example. The quality of the schooling system is proportional to the competence of the future workforce. Therefore, a country can benefit from such skillful human resources in the long-term if they invest the tax budget to build schools, provide lecturers with training courses or hire native speakers to teach foreign language. In addition, the government should also spend money solving transport problems. Traffic congestion is a global issue these days, and the scenario can be handled only if new highways are opened, and narrow public roads are expanded.
In conclusion, I believe that the government should use tax-payers’ money to improve not only the healthcare services, but also the education and transportation system.
- Allocate: Distribute (resources or duties) for a particular purpose
==>in past years we didn’t allocate enough funds to infrastructure maintenance
- Respiratory: Relating to or affecting respiration
==>We transferred the patient to the intensive care unit for respiratory and inotropic support.
- Fumes: An amount of gas or vapour that smells strongly or is dangerous to inhale
==>clouds of exhaust fumes spewed by cars
- Emissions: The production and discharge of something, especially gas or radiation
==>the effects of lead emission on health
- Remedy: A medicine or treatment for a disease or injury
==>Once estrogen replacement is prescribed, a medical practitioner calibrates the remedy.
- Proportional: corresponding in size or amount to something else
==>the punishment should be proportional to the crime.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (May – August) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!