IELTS Writing Actual Test in August, 2015 & Band 9 Sample Discursive Essay – Topic : Crime
Many people are afraid to leave their homes because of the fear of crime. Some believe that more actions should be taken to prevent crime. Others feel that little can be done. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 9.0 Sample :
The popularity of crime today has made people stay indoors for self-protection. While it is a common belief that reducing the crime rate is a nearly impossible mission, I hold the view that there are certain measures which can convert the world into a safer place to live in.
On the one hand, many people argue that in such current era of moral decadence, any attempts to prevent crime would turn out to be a failure. Poverty and unemployment are considered chief precursors to law violation, and only when these two social issues are eliminated will crime disappear. However, it is true that a society can only provide a limited number of jobs for its residents, and those who are not lucky enough to receive good education from childhood would find it difficult to pursue a career to make ends meet. Such individuals are lack of both skills and orientation, and from their perspective, becoming a thief might be a better way to survive compared to unstably living on governmental subsidies or performing menial work. It seems that the root of this problem cannot be solved completely, and this is why how to halt law-breaking may remain as an insurmountable question for the government.
On the other hand, I am of the opinion that there are still solutions to maintain criminal justice. Firstly, stricter sets of laws are required, and the penalties should be corresponding to the severity of the wrongdoings. In a variety of countries, such as the United Kingdom or Italy, the capital punishment has been abandoned; but I believe it should be reintroduced as the fear of death may deter the potential offenders and stop them from committing serious crime. Secondly, the government should encourage companies and organizations to expand and run more projects. These actions create jobs; therefore, those who live under the poverty line not only do not have to become pickpockets or burglars for survival but also stand a chance to earn a living with their own clean money.
In conclusion, I believe that the aforementioned measures can create more peaceful communities and ensure the safety of the residents.
(355 words – Thanh Nguyen IELTS)
Useful Expressions :
- Crime rate: A measure of the number of crimes recorded in a particular area, over a given period of time, etc.
==>The crime rate in the UK has reduced in recent years
- Measure: a plan or course of action taken to achieve a particular purpose
==>There are certain cost-cutting measures to this issue
- Convert: cause to change in form, character, or function
==>The industry has come up with production processes that converted raw material into useful forms.
- Decadence: moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury.
==>He denounced Western decadence.
- Precursor: a person or thing that comes before another of the same kind; a forerunner.
==>A high population density is the precursor to traffic congestion.
- Violation: the action of violating someone or something
==>the aircraft were in violation of UN resolutions.
- Eliminate: completely remove or get rid of (something)
==>The new policy would eliminate inflation.
- Subsidy: a sum of money granted by the government or a public body to assist an industry or business so that the price of a commodity or service may remain low or competitive.
==>Poor families rely on the governmental subsidies to satisfy their basic demands, such as eating or maintaining the domestic costs.
- Menial: (of work) not requiring much skill and lacking prestige
==>Most menial works do not require expertise or intricate skills.
- Insurmountable: too great to be overcome
==>Environmental pollution has remained as an insurmountable problem for governments for the last few years.
- Justice: a judge or magistrate, in particular a judge of the supreme court of a country or state.
==>It is, therefore, a matter of public interest who becomes judges of the lower courts and justices of the Supreme Court.
- Corresponding: similar in character, form, or function
==>We discussed our corresponding viewpoints.
- Capital punishment: the legally authorized killing of someone as punishment for a crime
==>The fact that the International Covenant sanctions capital punishment must be seen in this context.
Also check :