IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic:
Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behaviour. Others disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences. Discuss both views and give your opinion
Identifying the essay type: Discussion + opinion essay (Discuss both views and give your opinion)
Structuring the essay:
- Sentence 1: Introduce the given topic about the adherence to the new customs
- Sentence 2: Clearly and directly state my propensity for which side of the argument with one short and simple sentence (agree with people who think the host country should welcome differences in culture)
- Paragraph 1: 2 reasons why some people think tourists should follow new customs
Integration into a new environment
- Paragraph 2: 2 reasons why others think cultural should be welcomed.
Culture diverges significantly, depending on different countries and regions.
A hindrance to tourism
Restate my favorable side
BAND 8.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
There are different opinions about whether visitors should comply with local traditions or their lifestyles should be accepted. In my opinion, new patterns of belief and behavior should be welcomed in a new environment.
On the one hand, there are a number of reasons why some people think tourists should adhere to the new customs. Firstly, such adherence would enable them to integrate more easily and quickly into the new environment. Clearly if a person who comes from the US understood table manners or knew how to use chopsticks and , he would familiarize himself with Vietnamese traditions after a few days. Secondly, following new customs in the host country would play a part in avoiding social conflicts and, sometimes, hostility. A sense of isolation and loneliness could be the price for those who refuse to adapt to the new environment.
On the other hand, I would argue that it would be more suitable for a new way of thinking to be warmly accepted. Culture diverges tremendously across different countries and regions,depending on their historial backgrounds. Therefore, it is rather absurd to compel tourists to comply with the host country’s lifestyles. In addition, such permission would be a powerful leverage to develop the tourism industy of the host country. On being allowed to behave according to their cultural standards, visitors would feel respected and satisfied. Also of great significance is their recommendation to their friends and relatives to travel to those places, leading to the growth of tourism.
In conclusion, I would agree with the people who support the idea of appreciating every cultural difference.
– Comply with local traditions
– New patterns of belief and behavior
– Adhere to the new customs
– Integrate more easily and quickly into the new environment
– Social conflicts and, sometimes, hostility
– A sense of isolation and loneliness
– Adapt to the new environment
– Compel tourists to comply with the host country’s lifestyles