International Sports: IELTS Essay Academic Writing Task 2 Topic with Sample Answer
Here is another topic on IELTS Writing task 2 that is the International sport. Along with the topic sample answer and vocabulary is also given, which will be helpful in the IELTS writing exam.
Popular events like the football world cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
The World Cup football match and the Olympics are held worldwide with great national support and expectations. As a fan of those competitions, I am totally convinced that sporting events can be necessary for international relations and national unity.
First of all, the World Cup, Olympics, and other international games work for easing tensions among different nations. For example, South and North Korea have football games regularly, which gives the two countries a chance to understand each other deeply. In the mid-1990s, hundreds of North Korean supporters came to South Korea with the footballers, and they were very excited during the sporting events. Even if it sounds ridiculous, many South Koreans were quite surprised at that moment when North Koreans shouted and cried during the match. We all realized that they were very ordinary sports fans even though they were occasionally very secretive. Through the sports, two divided nations could reduce their political and ideological tensions and could feel the patriotic unity.
On the other hand, some sports matches can make international relations worse. For instance, football or baseball games between Korea and Japan are always big matches in the two countries where full tensions overflow. Sometimes, after the matches, the two rivals blame each other, and their patriotic emotions explode in an aggressive way. Even a much worse scenario is that the troubles caused by losing games affect the players directly. As far as I know, a couple of Korean players in Japan are suffered from invisible discrimination after the match between the two countries.
In conclusion, I think that international sporting occasions can be one of the good ways to ease tensions or to release patriotism safely. However, I believe that games can not be the fundamental way for sound patriotism or peaceful international relations.
- Ease tension (phrase) lessen or cause to lessen in tension
- Secretive (adj.) deliberately not telling people things
- Ideology (n) a set of ideas with a strong social influence
- Patriotic (adj.) feeling a lot of love, respect, and duty towards your country
- Overflow (verb) to feel an emotion very strongly
- Emotion explodes (collocation) to express strong emotion in a sudden, noisy, and often violent way
- In an aggressive way (phrase) behaving in an angry or rude way that shows you want to fight, attack, or argue with someone
- Scenario (n) a situation that could possibly happen
- Suffer from (v) to experience something very unpleasant or painful
- Invisible discrimination (phrase) unfair treatment of someone because of their religion, race, or other personal features that cannot be seen
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Direct question essay
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors