IELTS Writing 2 Topic: International Sporting Occasions are Essential in Easing International Tensions
Popular events like the football world cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
The World Cup football match and the Olympics are held worldwide with great national support and expectations. As a fan of those competitions, I am totally convinced that sporting events can be necessary for international relations and national unity.
First of all, the World Cup, Olympics, and other international games work for easing tensions among different nations. For example, South and North Korea have football games regularly, which gives the two countries a chance to understand each other deeply. In the mid-1990s, hundreds of North Korean supporters came to South Korea with the footballers, and they were very excited during the sporting events. Even if it sounds ridiculous, many South Koreans were quite surprised at that moment when North Koreans shouted and cried during the match. We all realized that they were very ordinary sports fans even though they were occasionally very secretive. Through sports, two divided nations could reduce their political and ideological tensions and could feel patriotic unity.
On the other hand, some sports matches can make international relations worse. For instance, football or baseball games between Korea and Japan are always big matches in the two countries where full tensions overflow. Sometimes, after the matches, the two rivals blame each other, and their patriotic emotions explode in an aggressive way. Even a much worse scenario is that the troubles caused by losing games affect the players directly. As far as I know, a couple of Korean players in Japan are suffered from invisible discrimination after the match between the two countries.
In conclusion, I think that international sporting occasions can be one of the good ways to ease tensions or to release patriotism safely. However, I believe that games can not be the fundamental way for sound patriotism or peaceful international relations.
- Ease tension (phrase) lessen or cause to lessen in tension
- Secretive (adj.) deliberately not telling people things
- Ideology (n) a set of ideas with a strong social influence
- Patriotic (adj.) feeling a lot of love, respect, and duty towards your country
- Overflow (verb) to feel an emotion very strongly
- Emotion explodes (collocation) to express strong emotion in a sudden, noisy, and often violent way
- In an aggressive way (phrase) behaving in an angry or rude way that shows you want to fight, attack, or argue with someone
- Scenario (n) a situation that could possibly happen
- Suffer from (v) to experience something very unpleasant or painful
- Invisible discrimination (phrase) unfair treatment of someone because of their religion, race, or other personal features that cannot be seen.
Band 9 Sample Essay
Signup/login to unlock band 9 essay and ace the IELTS
It is a common belief that international sports events and competitions have always proven themselves to be a connecting cord among different nations and fosters patriotism in the citizens of a country. I stand in support of that notion and in the paragraphs to follow, I shall reason that notion.
International sports such as Cricket World Cup or Football World Cup, so on and so forth, create an ambience that fortifies and strengthens the ties among different countries that otherwise could be at diplomatically contending sports. It is seen very often that the citizens of the two rival nations do not share a pleasant thought-spot for each other, in such a case whenever the sports teams of those countries have a face-off, the sportsmanship take the better of them and the tussle between them slowly assuages owing to the propagation of amicable relations among the players of the two hosting countries. Moreover, they come to terms with the situations of another contending country and the preponderant circumstances therein.
In addition to that, it is also very pervasive that many a time a feeling of nationalism and the citizens’ love for their respective countries suddenly see a vigour and surge in the intensity during such competitions. For instance, during Olympics the whole nation counts in harmony and synchronisation, the number of medals won by their players and hence, exult and jubilate together taking pride in their warriors. Moreover, it sets aside the paltry and trifling unnecessary strife prevalent in the countries otherwise and accentuates the patriotism that heightens more than ever.
Although, some could say such competitions may exacerbate an already fumbling relationship between the two countries, however, that shall be a lack of judiciousness and prudence, and it doesn’t require any specific event per se to pick up a grudge. However, that couldn’t fail a whole concept of international sports meet that plays a role in cementing good amiability, more commonly than not.
Conclusively, it could thus be stated that such competitions vitalize the feelings and true essence of love, nationalism, international-conviviality and affability.
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- Some People Say That In All Levels Of Education
- Too Much Emphasis Is Placed On Testing These Days
- The World’s Natural Resources Are Consumed At An Ever-Increasing Rate
- Some People Think That Schools Should Reward Students Who Show The Best Academic Results
- Whoever Controls The Media Also Controls Opinions And Attitudes
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Direct question essay
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors