IELTS Writing Actual Test & Band 9.0 Argumentative Essay – Topic: Technological Effect on Environment
Development in technology has brought various environmental problems. Some believe that people need to live simpler lives to solve environmental problems. Others, however, believe technology is the way to solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in July, 2015) & Band 9.0 Argumentative Essay – topic : business and money
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (November, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Answers – topic : vocational education
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in August, 2015) & Band 9.0 Argumentative Essay – Crime
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 – Topic: general line on Health (October, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in July, 2015) & Band 9.0 Sample – Topic : Tax
Band 9.0 Model Essay:
The improvements in technology currently bring about harmful effects on the environment. While some people believe having simpler lives is the only solution, I would argue that technological advances can help to tackle these environmental problems.
Also check :
On the one hand, it is believed that individuals need to live simple lives and rely less on technology. The first suggestion is that people should walk or cycle rather than drive cars. This is because the current number of cars being manufactured and used is increasing, which causes high levels of exhaust fumes and makes air pollution become serious. Additionally, people should try to reduce their consumption of electricity so that the exploitation of natural resources such as fossil fuels or nuclear power can be minimised. An example of this idea is the annual event called Earth Hour where everyone is asked to turn their lights off for sixty minutes.
On the other hand, I believe the developments of technology can greatly contribute to environmental protection. Firstly, because of those improvements, people are able to come up with ways to recycle materials such as paper or glass, which reduces the problem of waste disposal. Secondly, technology can also help to create electricity using renewable resources. For example, many countries in the world have built plants that utilise solar energy to generate power. As a result, it is not necessary to rely on non-renewable resources, and people can create electricity without significantly damaging the environment.
In conclusion, while some people think that they should live simpler lives to prevent environmental issues, I would argue that these problems can be dealt with by technological improvements.
(270 words, by IELTS Teacher, Quang Thang)
- exploitation: the use of land, oil, minerals, etc
==>commercial exploitation of the mineral resources in Antarctica
- waste disposal: the act of getting rid of sth
- plant: a factory ==>a chemical plant
- utilise: to use something, especially for a practical purpose
==>The Romans were the first to utilise concrete as a building material.
- solar energy