IELTS Writing Task 2 Argumentative Essay Topic: Development in technology has brought various environmental problems
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Development in technology has brought various environmental problems. Some believe that people need to live simpler lives to solve environmental problems. Others, however, believe technology is the way to solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Paraphrase the topic sentence.
- Mention the view along with the contents of the essay.
- Paragraph 1 – It is believed that individuals need to live simple lives and rely less on technology. The first suggestion is that people should walk or cycle rather than drive cars.
- Paragraph 2 – Developments in technology can greatly contribute to environmental protection. Firstly, because of those improvements, people can come up with ways to recycle materials such as paper or glass, which reduces the problem of waste disposal.
- Conclude the essay by summarizing the topic and stating the final view.
The improvements in technology currently bring about harmful effects on the environment. While some people believe having simpler lives is the only solution, I would argue that technological advances can help to tackle these environmental problems.
On the one hand, it is believed that individuals need to live simple lives and rely less on technology. The first suggestion is that people should walk or cycle rather than drive cars. This is because the current number of cars being manufactured and used is increasing, which causes high levels of exhaust fumes and makes air pollution a serious issue. Additionally, people should try to reduce their consumption of electricity so that the exploitation of natural resources such as fossil fuels or nuclear power can be minimized. An example of this idea is the annual event called Earth Hour, where everyone is asked to turn their lights off for sixty minutes.
On the other hand, I believe the developments of technology can greatly contribute to environmental protection. Firstly, because of those improvements, people can come up with ways to recycle materials such as paper or glass, which reduces the problem of waste disposal. Secondly, technology can also help to create electricity using renewable resources. For example, many countries in the world have built plants that utilise solar energy to generate power. As a result, it is not necessary to rely on non-renewable resources, and people can create electricity without significantly damaging the environment.
In conclusion, while some people think that they should live simpler lives to prevent environmental issues, I would argue that these problems can be dealt with by technological improvements.
- exploitation: the use of land, oil, minerals, etc
==>commercial exploitation of the mineral resources in Antarctica
- waste disposal: the act of getting rid of sth
- plant: a factory ==>a chemical plant
- utilise: to use something, especially for a practical purpose
==>The Romans were the first to utilise concrete as a building material.
- solar energy
Band 9 Sample Essay
Signup/login to unlock band 9 essay and ace the IELTS
The complications faced by the environment on account of the rapid growth in the realm of technology in the last few decades are quite evident. The present and the subsequent generations of humanity are facing natural threats of the highest degree thanks to the skyrocketing levels of pollution. The debate on whether technological development should be restrained to curb these issues or should such advancements be facilitated to tackle the difficulties caused has been a grave dilemma in the society. In my opinion, we should adopt a more simplistic lifestyle to end these distressing conditions. In the following paragraphs, I will explore both sides of the argument presented by the topic.
The fact that the evolution of technology has indirectly led to the depletion of natural resources and raised concerning circumstances has to be acknowledged. Moreover, adversities like climate change and global warming are outcomes of the happenings of the 21st century primarily. This should be an indicator of the negative effects of the lifestyle mankind is adapting with each passing day and steps must be taken to relax the dependence on technological facilities and promoting a modest manner of living.
On the other hand, it might be a laborious task to switch back to a conventional way of life after enjoying the benefits of modern technologies. From the invention of the light bulb to the expansion of the Internet, human innovation’s sole purpose has been to ease day-to-day activities. Thus, to travel backwards on the timeline of modernization would be immensely inconvenient and impractical. Therefore, following in our current footsteps and prioritizing the discovery of solutions to the environmental crisis we are facing might also be a coherent choice.
Finally, I would like to conclude by saying that the pace at which we are progressing as a civilisation, although commendable, can also lead to potential problems. I believe that having a basic approach to living will always have benefits over sophisticated means of life.
Some believe that advances in technology are increasing the gap between rich and poor while others think the opposite is happening. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- Advertising Discourages People From Being Different Individuals
- Some People Say Government Should Give Health Care The First Priorities
- Some Believe That More Action Should Be Taken To Prevent Crime
- Health Experts Believe That Walking Is A Good Exercise For Health
- Studies Show That Many Criminals Have A Low Level Of Education
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors